Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default How Do You "TIN" a soldering iron?

On 11/29/2010 1:57 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

How do you know when your soldering iron is tinned?
I keep mine plugged in for 5-10 minutes then when I try tin it, the
solder beads up and just drips offs. It doesn't seem to "wet" the
tip.
Is it suppose to wet the tip of the soldering iron?

I'm using non lead solder, 95%Sn, 5% Sb (Tin/Antimony).
Rosin core.

Also, when 1 solder two wires together, I twist the wires together,
then hold the iron to one side of the wire and hold the solder to the
opposite site. The wire should get hot and soak up the solder, right?
I've been practicing but it seems to be hit or miss so far.

Bonnie

1. get some real solder, 63% tin, 37% lead
2. get some liquid flux in a little dispenser bottle with a tiny
capillary needle. put a drop on the joint.
3. you don't "tin" tips anymore, you throw them away and get a new,
shiny one.
4. crank up the heat to 800 degrees F.
5. yes, use the damp sponge to frequently wipe the hot tip.
6. unless someone has been soldering for a living longer than i have (25
years) don't listen to them when they tell you that you don't need the
liquid flux. just get it. kester 1544 is a good formula.

Well it's been 31 years soldering electronics for a living for me, and
sorry, I don't use, nor need liquid flux. And before soldering for
work, I had been soldering since I was about 9 years old so add another
9 years onto the 31. To the OP, soldering is an art. It takes a lot of
practice before you get good at it. Look for some real instructions in
an electronics book or somewhere else. Surely there are a hundred or so
web sites to teach you. Yes, for soldering electronics, stick to 63/37
(or 60/40) For tip cleaning I no longer use the ol' wet sponge, I use a
kind of ammonia block (but you don't need that), and a brass pot
scrubber, and some rosin core solder. To make a really good tip
scrubber, wad the brass scrubber into some type of can, maybe a tuna
can. It would be great screwed down to something solid. I have what
looks like a small heavy steel ashtray with a rubber bottom which holds
the brass wool which is made for that purpose. You will have to stick
the tip in and twist and turn it to scrape it clean, immediatly followed
by melting solder on it. Repeat until it's tinned nicely, it will be
shiny. Don't turn the temperature too high or the rosin/flux will burn
and become infective. (maybe then you will need liquid flux?) Most of
my soldering is around 630F. 63/37 solder melts at 361°F.

More than anything else, practice, practice, practice.
If your soldering iron isn't temperature controlled, (I'm guessing it
isn't) it takes even more practice. Take your time and good luck!