Posted to alt.home.repair

Default trickle faucet?

"mike" wrote
Joe wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:05 pm, "james" wrote:
In the winter I want to turn on my faucets a trickle to prevent pipes
from
freezing. However, faucets are not designed to meter small amounts of
water
flow, so it is tricky to let out small amounts of water from both hot
and
cold sides. It's even trickier for single handle faucets -- they are not
balanced with small amount of water flow, so centering the handle does
not
let out equal amounts of hot/cold water. And the hardest is to make
everyone
do this after using the faucets.

Time to quit fooling around and freeze proof your domicile. It isn't
expensive nor difficult,

What's your estimate of the expense of such a project including the
permits, electrician work to get power to the heat tapes, patching
the drywall you had to remove to gain access to pipes, removing/replacing
insulation, asbestos abatement, etc.?
Feel free to itemize.

Balance that with the cost of repairing the freeze-ups. To replace the
split tubing you'd have to do most of what is listed above, plus, perhaps,
abate the water damage. You can fix it properly for the life of the house,
or you can to temporary work arounds and hope it never fails.

Since none of us has seen the entire setup, none of us can give a valid
estimate to fix it the right way. It may be very simple, really.