Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to fix a gouge in a table top?

I'd look around back of he piece and see if there is like wood
that isn't shown. It would be wood of the same vintage and life.

Life - I mean the month it sat on a porch or in a store window -
stress and such.

One would carve out the nasty gouge and make an inlay from the
wood in the back.

The worst it could be is off color. So one could make a nice looking
bow tie or like work. e.g. make it art.

Maybe an easier way is cutting out diamonds - straight lines down the
line and filling them with wood out of the back.

Or something like that out of contrasting wood to make a design.

Martin

On 11/29/2010 4:49 PM, busbus wrote:
On Nov 29, 11:34 am, Larry
wrote:

How deep is it?
How many fibers did it tear out?
Is it a scrape (to be filled or replaced)?
Or just a depression (which might be steamed out)?
etc.

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so find a way to put one online for
us.

Oh, it is deep! You said it: something must've fallen then shifted to
one side or the other and tore up a nice long piece.

I was afraid the best answer would be to rout the spot out and put a
new piece of wood in it. If I need to do this, then I think a LOT of
playing around is going to be called for because I ain't never done
that before and this piece of furniture holds sentimental value for my
wife.

Here is another stupid question: is the type of mahogany used to build
this thing 70 or so years ago the same as what is used now? I guess I
am asking if it will match up...I guess that is a stupid question.

I was just hoping for an easier answer! Thanks...I will let you guys
know what happens. I think I am going to keep this piece until

busbus