Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default outlet on when thermostat on

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 4:10 pm, Pavel314 wrote:
On Nov 29, 3:58 pm, Sam Takoy wrote:

On 11/29/2010 3:43 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a cheap but reliable solution.

I want a fan to turn on when my thermostat is on. Is there a gizmo
that would do that for me. My fan is line voltage.

Yes, there are several different ways you could get that to work, but
don't have enough information to suggest any in particular.

The best solution will be found by consulting with your electrician.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot.

Please suggest one if you can. For example, something that would turn on
an outlet when the thermostat turns on.

Thanks again

Sam- Hide quoted text -

What you want is a relay, where the 12 volt line from your thermostat
closes a switch to allow 120 v house current to flow. I would guess
that such things are available at your local electrical supply store,
although I've never used one myself.

Paul- Hide quoted text -

How do you know that he has a 12 volt line from his thermostat?

He wouldn't, It would likely be 24 volt, unless it's electric heat