stoutman

Default Finish for oak end tables

Have a good one, stoutman. Hope I didn't **** ya off.

No. Ya didn't. It's all in good fun.

I don't claim to know everything about finishes, hell I just started this
wooddorking stuff a year and a half ago. I have just read a lot of negative
things about shelackky. I am reluctant to use it on "high use" items based
on what I have read.

I need to go change my jeans. They are a little skortched

Cheers!

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:36:54 GMT, "stoutman" .@. wrote:

Mostly because they are ugly as ****.

This is your opinion.

Yabutt, I was a cabintemaker fer a bunch o'years. Don't that count as
bein' a perfesshunul witness, or sumpthin'

I thought this thread was about the proper finish for end tables.

yep, it is. And it wouldn't be shellaccyy.

I've some Italian-American friends in South Philly whose Grandmas keep
clear plastic on the furniture. Sure, it protects the furniture - but
it makes it damned uncomfortable to be with. They keep that plastic
wrap that comes on the lampshades, too. I don't like that look much.
We're talking about the demographic that hangs velvet Elvis paintings
in their house (more like Sinatra and Frank Rizzo in the specific
reference) and I'd like to steer clear of that in my wooddorking.

Yeah, he did. Don't that just skortch yer jeans?

a little.

Ya know, O'Deen sold that bug**** perfeshunally fer a while and he
talked to lotsa folks. He's right smart about it.

Oh, Lordy - this is why the debate club has closed auditions.

This is a debate?

Well, it sorta is - in a funky sense.

Control of resources is a business standard and switching from a
volatile market of agriculturally based resources to that of a
predictable synthetic nature is logically - good practice.

Agreed.

Bring your A game next time, Stoutman

Yeah, because you obviously did. (sarcasm)

I'll admit - that was a cheap shot on my part. I'm a'beggin yer
forgiveness.

I still wouldn't put crapashellacky on an end table that gets high use.

But
that's just me being logical.

There's other things that can be done. I'd personally put glass tops
on the sunsabitches - but I guess that violates almost every prejudice
I've expressed in the above (what is that **** about "consistency is
the hobgoblin of small minds"?)

Have a good one, stoutman. Hope I didn't **** ya off.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret)