Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default outlet on when thermostat on

On Nov 29, 4:01*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 29, 3:37*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

Looking for a cheap but reliable solution.

I want a fan to turn on when my thermostat is on. Is there a gizmo that
would do that for me. My fan is line voltage.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

The "gizmo" is typically called a "relay".

The input, or coil voltage, should match the voltage on the thermostat
wires. When power is applied, the coil would close a set of contacts
that are rated for your line voltage.

Something like this is typically used as a fan control:

http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume...atalog_06_page...

However, using something like that to control an outlet might not be
code-compliant.

P.S. I am *not* suggesting that you run out and buy the device I
supplied the link to.

I am simply responding to: "I want a fan to turn on when my thermostat
is on. Is there a gizmo that would do that for me?"

I have replaced such relays on my furnace to control the furnace
blower, but I certainly wouldn't wire an outlet off of one of those. I
can't imagine that such an installation would be code-complant.

To accomplish your goal, I totally agree with everything Jon has said:
Call a professional.