Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.gps
kraftee kraftee is offline

Default Tomtom Start won't find satellites after software update

"Terry Fields" wrote in message

Tim Downie wrote:

My daughter's Tomtom Start has gone on the blink after a software update.
It now no longer finds any satellites (and yes, it has been left for over
an hour outside).

We've tried a soft reset via the on screen menu and also a hard reset via
the hidden reset button. We've tried re-installing the software updates
but that hasn't worked either. There doesn't seem to be any way of
"rolling back" the software as my daughter has never done any back-ups in
the past.

We've getting to the stage of returning it to Tomtom but I wonder if
anyone knows any other ways of restoring its functionality? It just seems
odd that it was working fine until the software update and then stopped
working. I feel there ought to be some easy way of sorting this out.

Tim

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I have a TomTom One, which when new I enthusiasttically used to keep
up-to-date. That is, until an upgrade took away all my settings, the
new version giving far less options for warning signals and no options
for the3 boot-up screen, followed by another upgrade that caused the
unit to fail, just like your daughter's has. It was resolved by
search-engining for the fault - the cure for which was to delve into
the TomTom's files and delete several.

After that it worked just fine. I deleted the TomTom software from my
computer and have never updated the device since. At least it's
stable, and I'm saved a chore and possible associated grief.

I'm sure you'll resolve the problem - whether your daughter chooses to
keep updating her device is a choice for her...

Sounds a little like the experience I had with my Go 920, bought
specifically because it could transmit the directions (plus music from my
IPod) onto the FM band.

Then they took that facility away because it was illegal, yet they still had
their reps on various TV shopping channels using it as a selling point and
eventually after getting a bloody patch on the front of my head (banging it
against their brick wall called customer service) they eventually revived
that service again with no explanation why, seeing it was illegal just
months before...