Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default hot water tank..new vs old

On 11/28/2010 9:52 PM, jimmy wrote:
For the past 40 years I have installed 4- 40 gallon hot water tanks (natural
gas) in my home.
Today I picked up a new 30 gallon tank, installed it, fired up and could not
believe the pressure rise as temp increased, went to 140# and still going at
120 deg temp
My incoming pressure is usually 90psi, give or take 10 #
I know I am going to need a press reducing valve, either for the entire
system, or the hot water tank itself, or an expansion tank for the hot water
tank.
Question is why in the world am I having pressure rises like this on the new
tank, and never had this problem before ?
thanks

jamesgang has the correct answer. your new heater has a check in the
inlet. Take it back apart and throw the somebeach in the round file.
THEN put an expansion tank on, (anywhere in the entire system is fine,
they don't have to be right next to the heater).

--
Steve Barker