Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default OT Digital TV, free TV

RogerN wrote:

Not directly metalworking but if I save money on TV then I can buy some
metal!

Got rid of my Dish Network after much hassle after the receiver quit
working. I do not recommend Dish Network ever for any reason, you are
better off to get a chalk board and draw pictures. They are fine until
you need something like a receiver or service, they don't work with you,
cheat you, and want you to send the receiver, LNB, and remote back to them
at your expense when you discontinue their service.

I have heard that Digital TV looks as good as (or better than) cable or
satellite TV, so I'm thinking about setting up some type of mast and
outdoor
antenna. I guess I need a mast or tower and antenna, amplifier worth it?
There are a couple station in the 20-30 mile radius but more in the ~70
mile radius.

I guess I need a DTV converter box?

Anyone getting good results with DTV from an antenna?

Currently I have no channels, just videotapes and DVD's.

A couple of years or so ago, all broadcast was ordered to go digital by
imperial edict, so I was forced to buy a digital box; fortunately, they had
a "coupon" which covered most of the $50 price.

I'm practically within line-of-sight of Mount Baldy (or wherever the local
antenna farm is); at the time, I made one of those four-bay bowtie antennas;
I've since moved, lost the bowtie, and am now using a "random wire," which
I think I can get away with either because the signals are so strong or the
box is so sensitive.

But if you're not like 20 miles line-of-sight, you will probably want at
least one of those four-bay bowties. There used to be instructions all over
the web; I made mine in about a half-hour, with about six bucks' worth of
materials.

Google HDTV bowtie or words to that effect.

Good Luck!
Rich