Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.gps
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default Tomtom Start won't find satellites after software update

Tim Downie wrote:

My daughter's Tomtom Start has gone on the blink after a software update. It now no longer finds any satellites (and yes, it has been left for over an hour outside).

We've tried a soft reset via the on screen menu and also a hard reset via the hidden reset button. We've tried re-installing the software updates but that hasn't worked either. There doesn't seem to be any way of "rolling back" the software as my daughter has never done any back-ups in the past.

We've getting to the stage of returning it to Tomtom but I wonder if anyone knows any other ways of restoring its functionality? It just seems odd that it was working fine until the software update and then stopped working. I feel there ought to be some easy way of sorting this out.

Tim

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I have a TomTom One, which when new I enthusiasttically used to keep
up-to-date. That is, until an upgrade took away all my settings, the
new version giving far less options for warning signals and no options
for the3 boot-up screen, followed by another upgrade that caused the
unit to fail, just like your daughter's has. It was resolved by
search-engining for the fault - the cure for which was to delve into
the TomTom's files and delete several.

After that it worked just fine. I deleted the TomTom software from my
computer and have never updated the device since. At least it's
stable, and I'm saved a chore and possible associated grief.

I'm sure you'll resolve the problem - whether your daughter chooses to
keep updating her device is a choice for her...

TF