Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Gear cutter shank length

Ignoramus8040 wrote:
I have a shank to hold slitting saws, gear cutters etc. It is on a
7/8" shank and is appx. 8" long.

Having never cut gears etc, I am concerned if, perhaps, this is too
long and would generate chatter. Is there any kind of a guideline on
this.

thanks

try cutting a scrap piece of metal. There are many variables involved
including the stiffness of your machine, the quality of the tool
holder, run out of the cutter and shank itself. I don't remember what
tool holder you are using in your mill but the shank should slide up
into the tool holder, Put it up as far as possible, shorter is better.
Don't try to climb mill unless your machine is very rigid.

good luck with your machining education.

John