Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Mark F[_3_] Mark F[_3_] is offline

Default Experiences with, opinions on "Shark Bite" pipe fittings?

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 08:23:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 28, 10:32*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 11/25/2010 7:50 AM, brassplyer wrote:

I needed to replace an outside spigot, was hoping for find one that
used a compression fitting, *the guy at Home Depot was trying to sell
me on these Shark Bite pipe fittings.

I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail. It was on a copper
line that had a slight curve in it and it was not quite round. *Leaked
immediately. Not a lot, but enough.

* *Jeff

"I may be the only one who has had a shark bite fail"

I don't think it's really fair to say that the "Shark Bite failed".

I know it could be considered semantics, but to say that the "Shark
Bite failed" tends to point blame at the Shark Bite when, by your own
implied admission, you didn't follow the installation instructions.

You can't blame the Shark Bite for that.

The original poster doesn't say, but perhaps the distortion of the
copper pipe was only evident on minute inspection. With soldering,
little deformities don't make a difference for normal home pressures
and reliability needs.