Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default UPDATE: Bricks under the furnace?

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 06:04:58 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Or do it the proper way, and fix it OUTSIDE the house. Bailing a boat is
a poor substitute for fixing the hole in the side.

I might add you CANT seal water out of a basement, ther best you can
do is redirect it......

basements have too many joints and seams they arent a boat

Don't even boats have bilge pumps? What are they for?

Wikip
The bilge is the lowest compartment on a ship where the two sides meet
at the keel.[1] The word was coined in 1523.[citation needed]

The word is sometimes also used to describe the water that collects in
this compartment. Water that does not drain off the side of the deck
drains down through the ship into the bilge. This water may be from
rough seas, rain, or minor leaks in the hull or stuffing box.**

[So it's usually mostly NOT from leaks. I guess that's reassuring. ]

The water that collects in the bilge must be pumped out to prevent it
from becoming too full and threatening to sink the ship

**Where the propeller comes in.