Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.gps
Clive Page[_3_] Clive Page[_3_] is offline

Default Tomtom Start won't find satellites after software update

In message , Tim Downie
writes
My daughter's Tomtom Start has gone on the blink after a software
update. It now no longer finds any satellites (and yes, it has been
left for over an hour outside).

My TomTom One has been reasonably good, but I had problems downloading a
new map a couple of months back. TomTom have an email support service
which I found completely useless - they ignored my specific questions
and kept on using the same boiler-plate answers which didn't answer my
questions. After about 5 questions and non-answers I got annoyed enough
to phone them up, and the phone support guy was actually quite helpful
and he almost solved my problem. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I've since found some on-line forums which would have helped a lot at
the time: try www.tomtomforums.com or possibly www.gpsinformation.net

The disadvantage of cheap mass-market appliances is that support by the
manufacturers is often extremely poor - the advantage is that there's a
good chance some other poor use has the same problem as you, and might
even have posted something about on the web somewhere.

--
Clive Page