Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default OT - 4x4 automatic car.

I have driven for 30 years with no troubles at all. I drive 100 miles a
day, and on rural roads, so not exactly without experience of difficult
roads. However, you are right, I am limited. I have a slight dyspraxia
which limits my ability to co ordinate my left foot for the clutch.
Thats
the issue. Not a " disability" officially, so not motorbility
challenged,
just safer in an automatic.

Probably safer than you my friend.

I generally find that people who prattle on that they are "safe" are
anything but, generally they are (a) slow and (b) lucky and usually (c)
don't drive very far. You may be the sole exception, but on usenet you
can make all the claims you want about how good a driver you are and
they don't amount to a hll of beans.

Equally true of those who prattle on that a driver of a manual car is "
more capanle " than one who drives an automatic I am sure. There is far
more to driving than changing gear using a clutch. Hills of beans indeed.

Ignore the idiots who think they are better than you because they have a
licence that includes manual gearboxes. In fact automatics mean the driver
has more time to concentrate on the important aspects of driving. Be aware
that 4WD does not mean you will be invincible in bad weather which is a trap
many fall into. In the last two days I have encountered three 4WD vehicles
stuck min snow because the drivers had no idea of how to drive on an icy
road. Once you have your chosen vehicle go and get some professional
tuition at an off road centre to learn how to get the best out of your
vehicle. With the mileage you do choose a diesel if possible because the
savings are significant. Good luck with your quest.

Peter Crosland