Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving
js.b1 js.b1 is offline

Default OT - 4x4 automatic car.

To add, Kia do/did a very good 4x4 (good in that it is actually
capable of doing offroad, many are not).

Check crash data on the older 4x4, the suzuki stuff is not very good
and I have seen three "front-rear skip" on emergency stops. By skip I
mean the shock absorber dampening is inadequate, which combined with
certain tyre combinations resulted in the tyres skipping on emergency
stops thus greatly increasing stopping distance. Like a cartoon trying
to stop, the weight transfer to the front springs on braking caused a
rebound-skip-contact-rebound-skip motion. Sounds funny until you see
it hit the pedestrians who ran out across the pedestrian crossing, the
old escort alongside going faster stopped short. Similar experienced
by a colleague in Spain with a hire car, perhaps the shocks were worn
- but I have seen three suzuki 4x4 do it myself in the past 10yrs,
only one was an "old" red suzuki, the others were very new white
Vitara.

For just trips thro snow, snow tyres win.
Modern tyre compound freezes, tyres tend to be relatively low profile
& high performance summer rating, shock absorbers have relatively high
stiction causing weight transfer off FWD very easily indeed.