Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Purpose of Relief Cut on Back of Baseboard Molding

Josepi wrote:
Damn NNTP doesn't send the checkback code and it reposts.

My apologies to any irritated.

"Josepi" wrote in message
You started about painting both sides and switched to, milling both
sides???

"Leon" wrote in message
news Keep this in mind also. Seldom is a baseboard painted on both sides,
unless preprimed. What happens to a piece of thin lumber that is
only milled on one complete side? Normally it will warp/cup.
Solution, mill both sides. I always do this when planing boards.

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Baseboard moldings always have a cutout on the back side. What is
its purpose?

Is it there to relieve cupping stresses?
Or maybe to just allow for flat placement over imperfections in the
wall? Anyone know the actually reason for this?

I'm not asking for guesses or speculation.
I'm sure someone out there actually knows this info.

Change the "Copies" parameter from "2" to "1" ?