Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default UPDATE: Bricks under the furnace?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:22:04 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

I think that's the key. If the furnace is put directly on the concrete floor
it could be constantly damp. Cement blocks are cheap, and don't burn well.

Some sort of spacers would make sense. I would use something made out of
concrete rather than a brick made of clay, though. Sometimes those turn
to dust at inconvenient times. I wish the people who installed my
furnace had put it up on blocks. No flooding issues (knock on wood), but
that filter housing is a knuckle buster right next to floor. A couple of
inches up would have made it easier.

My furnace filter was easy to change for several years. I don't know
when it changed, but it's not anymore. And I cant' get in there to
look at what's stopping it.

A typical cardboard-frame filter, it's hard to get started** and even
after I start it, today I had to force it in a little at a time for
the first 12 inches, before it slid in okay. **To get it started, I
usually end up pushig so hard the bottom carboard edge crumples.
That's just makes it harder to push at all later.

An inche or two underneath would help get it started, but that's not
the whole problem at all.

--
aem sends...