Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to store laminate flooring?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 07:01:24 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Red Green wrote:

it won't ..., swell, ..., expand, contract...

So why do the mfgrs install instuctions (that I've seen) say to leave
like 1/4 gap for expansion at perimeters and transitions?

"Manufactured" laminate has a base made of, Lord knows what, something
similar to particle board - sawdust(? could be ground chicked bones) mixed
with a binder.

That's the hooker. Laminate substrate can be anything from particle board to
plywood to wood to plastic (and I'm sure I've left some out). The term, by
itself, is next to meaningless.