Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Leveling floor for hardwood

On 11/27/2010 9:13 AM, Pointer wrote:
On 11/26/2010 3:57 PM, John wrote:
I've already asked about how to level concrete, but now I'm
contemplating going after my main living level. I'm going to replace
the carpet with laminate, and thus, any imperfections will likely be
much more visible (and I don't want any imperfections period!). I
also know there are a few areas I'm going to have to work on, as they
have 1/4" dips over 2' areas.

I'm wondering if anyone has any sage advise that could save me some
time. If there's any really good tools that I might need, if there's
a preferred way to measure levelness, or if there's any practices I
should avoid.

The laminate with it's underlayment can go over small level heights just
fine.

I had a much more severe problem due to the age of my house. Any long
straightedge should give you a good indication of how flat the surface
is, level has little to do with how the laminate will go down.

As far being level, the carpenters level was easier to deal with than
the laser level for distances on the order of the length of the level.

Jeff

Thanks,

John

Had a similar problem (generally a larger slope but some dips) on the
second floor in a large room where I wanted to use a finished oak. I
ripped up the carpet, to find press wood, ripped that up to find
plywood. Used a laser level coupled with a long carpenters level to
determine they size of straps to place on joists. Not at all an easy job
and I was concerned about the accuracy at the time but it did turn out
fine.