Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Batteries That Do Not Leak w/Age?

The labelling of batteries in battery operated devices may seem like
obsessive behavior to many, but I've been doing it for years.
I typically place a bit of pressure sensitive adhesive/self-stick paper
label on or inside a battery cover, or write a month/year directly on one of
the batteries with a Sharpie marker.

The paper label can hold several dates before it needs replaced, or erase a
previous date if marked in pencil.

I'll replace batteries in flashlights and test meters/equipment after a
year, even if they're not low, and put a piece of tape over the terminals of
a 9V, or put AAA, AAs and others in a small zip-close bag, keeping sets
together.. then use those previously used batteries for temporary use of
checking other devices (after quickly checking them with a tester).

I also label my rechargeable power tool batteries, so I can see the last
time they were charged.
Any time I notice that they haven't had a recent charge, I'll refresh their
charge and remark 'em.

It's not a big deal, after one gets used to marking things regularly.. at
least it eliminates all the guessing.

--
Cheers,
WB

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Jeff Liebermann:

How old were the batteries?

Dunno, but now I am going to start putting a strip of electrical
tape on each device and writing the battery date on it.

With that in place, I think 12-month replacement sounds
reasonable. I'm not going for the last dime, just want the thing
to work when I need it.
--
PeteCresswell