Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Wired a Haas 5C indexer to be controlled by CNC mill

On 2010-11-27, Pete C. wrote:
Yep, the old indexers provided a way to to limited 4th axis work on a
control that didn't have a full 4th axis, but provided a general purpose
output or two. These days all the controls have 4th (and 5th, 6th, etc.)
axis capabilities so indexers are a thing of the past, but they're still
plenty handy.

I have a fourth axis CNC rotary table (I do not remember if you saw
it), but I have not wired it yet, it is going to be pretty time
consuming. I will use the indexer for now.

They both have their uses, and the chuck on the indexer makes it useful
for a lot of stuff. There are a lot of things you might make that don't
need full 4th axis movement, just indexing.