Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default older motherboard with intel chipset

baron wrote:

It shouldn't be any different to any other M/B !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Well, I'm not sure why I had no luck trying to install xp pro with an
oem disc, it just seemed to be in an endless loop where I'd start the
install, then the machine would reboot and put me right back at square
one - did this several times. Then I loaded a bios update, and tried
to get infinst.exe (chipset drivers) to run, with no success and
finally dug up the emachine restore discs and found that that
installed a working system (just probably one that I can't get
activated).

I have since put in a Live cd with an older ubuntu on it, and it seems
to run that fine, so I spose this will make an ok linux box.

One thing I'm curious about, after several iterations of installing xp
is that sometimes I'd have to enter at least one user's name, and
sometimes I wouldn't, I found that with an oem disc and also with the
restore discs - doesn't really matter, just seems odd to not be
consistent while I'm fairly certain that I did the exact same thing
during th installation.

Anyway, thanks to every one for your suggestions and comments, I think
I'll check out one of the newer linux
packages mentioned.

Mike