Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Batteries That Do Not Leak w/Age?

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:01:43 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Is there any such thing as an alkaline battery that does not leak
with age?

I just had my second episode of Mallory Duracells gooping up a
flashlight.

If the answer is "no", can anybody venture a proactive
replacement interval for size "C" cells?

And, can anyone suggest a good technique to extract bad, swollen
"C" batteries (accumulators) out of a Mag-Lite flashlight (torch)?

Lately I've been thinking "a good old fashioned cork-screw!"

The flashlight (torch) looks ok otherwise...

I recently had to extract AA size cells from such a flashlight.
I found a twist drill (sized a bit smaller than the cell dia.)
worked effectively (use a drill press if you don't have a steady
hand as going in "off axis" will damage the flashlight).

Dental instruments are handy for fishing out the remnants of
the "gored" cells.

(N.B. watch your penetration lest you drill past the "frontmost"
cell and into the mechanism itself!)

HTH,
--don