Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Single-Phase, at last! (r2e4)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:07:42 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

FINALLY, I got my r2e4 Bridgeport converted to single-phase.

No more of that damned RPC singing over in the corner, no.

As it turns out, the R2E4 machine is basically a single-phase machine,
anyway, except for the spindle motor (which is definitely 3-phase).

The electronics all run off two (single) phases of the incoming power,
and there are no references to the phases. All it took to get them
converted was to move a couple of leads.

To adapt the spindle, I installed a VFD and a relay isolator that would
track the F/R signals from the motor relays, and signal the VFD to
start/stop/forward/reverse.

It cost only $149 and some labor.

Now to make metal in the QUIET! G

LLoyd

Hey Lloyd.

I've mentioned here before that a lathe I have works that way. The
only thing 3 phase is the spindle motor, and the other stuff is single
phase but uses the different three-phase legs, sort of balanced out .

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.