Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Darn thieves!

Cory wrote:
My problem, trying to save taxpayers $ by discouraging thieves.

I know what I would do, but working for a State, I have to work with
what they give me.

Our guardrails have reflectors. The State is implementing new
reflectors going up on their routes. The workers are putting up
reflectors mounted on the blocks or posts for the guardrail. Problem
is, the reflectors are mounted on aluminum! Ok, someone at the top
should've seen this one coming, especially with the economy being the
way it is.
The reflectors are installed using 2, 3/8" x 2" lags with a 7/16"
head. The thieves will not bother the reflectors on narrow shoulders,
or on dangerous curves. But, where a full width shoulder exists, the
reflectors disappear. Besides being pretty, the aluminum is probably
what is making them disappear.

Changing material from aluminum is out of the question. Remember,
this is a State Agency, and come hell or high water, some nitwit at
the top wants this to work.

My initial thought is to have the workers dab PL on the heads of the
lags after installing. But, a set of vice grips would still back out
the lags.
Aside from having the State Troopers sit and wait, any ideas?
Besides, they have better things to do, like responding to accidents
from people hitting unmarked guardrails!

Here's the fix:

Obviously the use of bolted-on Aluminum is the result of a political
decision. Steel would be cheaper and (obviously) last longer.

Without question the Aluminum-post-provider is a relative of the highway
purchasing agent.

So, then, the fix is to approach the supplier and convince him to promote
steel posts to his brother-in-law. He can sell them for more on than the
current Aluminum post for the reason that they won't be stolen!

I know the whole idea is spooky, but that's the way the world works.