Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Hot water

On 11/25/2010 5:50 PM, LSMFT wrote:
I just thought that if there is a long distance from your hot water
heater or boiler coil to the kitchen maybe a smaller diameter pipe
would get the hot water there faster. Maybe 1/4" or 3/16" tubing
would be better. I may try this.

You know this is very true. I have a newly constructed house. The
plumber did a nice job of using larger diameter pipe for the trunk
lines and then branching out to smaller sizes. Well, with the new
low flow faucets everywhere these days, it takes forever to get hot
water at the end of a long 3/4" pipe. Even at my kitchen sink,
which is directly over the water heater, it takes a goodly amount of
time to get the water hot. The faucet companies have done a good
job in duping the user to think there is a lot of water flowing by
using really nice aerators and sprayers. But try filling a jug or a
pot and you will know that the flow is really quite low.