Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default CordPro -- Extension cord storage & usage

You're correct about the twists, although each single loop may not need
twisted as the cable is coiled.. unless the cable was layed out with
absolutely no twist.

I wasn't specifically criticising the alternating left-right method, but
there's really no beneficial reason for the popular chain-of-loops method..
I thought it was stupid when I was shown it 20 years ago, and still do.

I understand that the alternating left-right method works, and is most
likely a very quick method for long cables.. so if I had to deal with 100'
lengths frequently, I'd definitely use it.. as it is, the majority of cables
I use are usually under 30'.

I tend to lay cables out flat, so others won't catch the cables on their
feet as they walk around, as that will definitely cause a lot of damage to
cables and connectors (time consuming and expensive replacement connectors
on equipment).

FWIW, I don't like dealing with twisting while pulling romex out of a coil
in a box.. instead, I made a spool and stand to put fresh 250' rolls of
romex on, so it can be payed out flat/no twists. With straight, flat romex,
it pulls/feeds very easily thru nominally small sized holes without hanging
up.

--
WB

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
My usual method is to start with an end in my left hand, with the end
toward my body.. then twist as needed to form coils in a clockwise

direction.. ...

Ah, but that's the "rub", as they used to say. Each loop of cable
requires a 1/4 turn of twist in order to lay flat. In a 100' cable it
adds up and you are constantly shaking it out to be able to twist more.
Then, when it's uncoiled for use, all that twist likes to make kinks.

That's what the figure-8 or alternate left-right avoids.

Bob