Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Linksys BEFSX41 Router

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 23:07:19 +0000, Baron wrote:

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:59:54 +0000, baron wrote:

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:21:57 +0000, Baron wrote:

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:41:29 +0000, root wrote:

The router doesn't see the WAN connection. Is there any hope
that it is fixable?

Unfortunately that is quite a common problem. Often spikes on
the
incoming line kill the circuit. You may find if your lucky that
the
voltage arrester just behind the WAN socket is SC. Otherwise its
just usable as switch.

What's your source for the common problem? The WAN connection
usually ends up on the Ethernet connection of a DSL or Cable modem
which itself should be protected. This can be verified by
attaching the PC directly to the WAN connection and trying to ping
the modem's default IP address for HTTP port configuration or
trying to go to the modem config page at that address.

My bad ! :-(
I forget that here in the UK the router normally connects directly
to the phone line and over there the modem is often a separate
device. Sorry !

The telco here offers a combo switch/router/dsl modem. I have one
around here made by 2wire.

Although the protection circuitry behind the socket is still worth
checking.

If the OP is adventurous yes. However it may not be worth the money
to replace parts and if the protection has crowbarred the WAN port
running the router without protection could result in future damage
to the transceiver.

True ! Though spark gaps and TVS diodes are commonly used for
protection.

Oddly I got one to fix just after my last post. TVS diode dead short.
Lift the diode and it works again. New diode needed. Problem ! House
coded. A PKE170 is the same physical size and should do.

I've never had to or been called to repair these things. Last damaged
Ethernet device I encountered was a 24 port Cisco Catalyst series
managed 10/100 switch that had suffered a proximity lightning strike
knocking out several ports. It was replaced, no way I would tackle a
repair.

Generally speaking they aren't worth the time to take the box apart let
alone fault finding on them. But as part of a larger job it can become
worth the effort to do so ! It also marks you out as someone who can
be trusted to do a job properly rather than box shift or bodge. In any
case its all part of a continuous learning process.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.