Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Purpose of Relief Cut on Back of Baseboard Molding

On Nov 25, 11:01*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote

You'll still have to caulk it in, but not so heavily as
if it wasn't backed out. **Light* bead, lay down with a
wet finger, goes fast.

Caulking is a HACK job. *I don't know of a decent build house that has caulk
in the trim.

If the trim guy uses caulk, it's a hack, if the painter uses it, it's
part of the finish.

I am 100% with C-less that the black shadow line looks way worse than
a skilfully applied fill in that gap.
The bitch I have with caulking, is that too many schlock trim
carpenters use it as a regular part of their installation procedure.
But to leave the black gaps is the worse of two evils, IMHO.... and I
have never been in a house where a little dab here and there didn't
make it look better.

On the topic of caulk, less is more. I use a piece of formica from a
sample chain, the ones with sharp corners, to level the top of the
caulk with the edge of the baseboard....never do I leave a radius.
Also, the caulking gun tip is cut square at the smallest possible
opening and 'pushed' as it dispenses, as opposed to 'pulled'. I get
compliments all the time about how little I use and how bloody awesome
I am at caulking...G
Of course, I use the Festool of caulking guns, none better than these:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/23lhbev
Having done a lot of countertops in the last 25+ years, you get to do
a lot of caulking.