Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Door Bell Transformer

On Nov 26, 9:33*am, "John" wrote:
I have just received a home energy monitor and spend a while trying to track
down where my last 2p of electricity was being used.

I found that isolating the door-bell circuit breaker made a difference. This
circuit feeds an adjacent Freidland transformer (house built in 1988) which
feeds a satisfyingly loud buzzer and an illuminated button.

I wondered if there is a more modern equivalent to the iron transformer that
is suitable for this purpose as I recall reading that switched mode power
supplies do not have a resistive load.

Please don't shoot me down for being tight - but this thing is on
continuously and if there is a simple alternative then I would like to
consider it - but I quite like the illuminated button and the loud buzzer
which is only the size of a cotton bobbin. Most bing bongs look naff IMHO..

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Doorbell

NT