Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Purpose of Relief Cut on Back of Baseboard Molding

On 11/25/10 9:45 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 25, 9:07 pm, wrote:

Thanks.

I really hate caulking trim. To me, nothing says, "No one involved took
any pride in their work," like caulking the seems between wall and trim.

In a perfect world walls are flat, baseboard is straight... in a
perfect world.
That is why I use 3M hotmelt and silicon to attach baseboard. A good
push and it follows the wall (mostly) and no nail holes to fill.
Then, as small a bead as possible because I think a filled gap looks
better than a gap unfilled.G
Make sure the fill gets painted the same colour as the wall.

Used to be, in an average world, walls were straight. There were
straight in my previous house, because I built it. The drywall sub even
asked me to straighten out some bent studs.... in the closet, no less.
How's that for wanting a quality finish. Who would do that? 90 percent
of contractors would just sheet right over it a bend the drywall.
There's no excuse for some of the curving I see in new homes around
here. Correction... there are lots of excuses... none of them valid, imo.

Most baseboard bends enough to follow the wall. Unfortunately curving
baseboard is more apparent than curving drywall. Filling the troughs
makes the baseboard look straight, but still shows the imperfection on top.

I had to do that with some crown on a house that had waves on both axes.
Big dips down and waves in and out, seemingly between each stud. It
would've looked horrible to follow those waves with the crown. I used
hotmelt, too. It's great for securing corners and I'm in favor of fewer
nail holes, as well.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)