Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Attaching drop ear 90 to concrete block wall

"Evan" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 8:03 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
Sorry last post was truncated...

I have to attach some brass fittings to concrete block walls. Those are
"drop ear 90" at the end of copper water supply lines that look like this:

http://www.plumbinghelp.ca/images/Drop%20ear%2090.jpg

I tried using TAPCON screws but the shalft is too big for the small holes.
I could put some 1/2" furring backing on but that would require me to move
all the plumbing on that wall out (shower valve, diverter, hand shower,
body
sprays, overhead shower etc...).

Any idea how to attach these to the concrete block walls when these holes
are so tiny? I guess I can drill bigger holes, but if there is an obvious
answer I missed would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Well clearly the TAPCON screws that you currently have available to
you are too large to fit into the provided holes in the fitting you
need to
attach, so you either need to find TAPCON screws which will fit the
holes you need them to pass through (as miraculous as it sounds
they are available in MANY sizes),

Home Depot only carries 3/16" and 1/4" and bigger. I could not find one
that has a small enough shaft to fit into these fitting holes, that's why I
asked. I have all sizes I could find. Please point me to a source with a
smaller then 3/16" sizes.
OR you need to obtain normal
screws and the appropriate plastic anchors which will allow them to
be used in a concrete block wall...

Plastic anchors does not work for me, not good enough, I considered it but
not comfortable with it.

It isn't rocket science -- you frequently post these odd ball
questions
about the most simple aspects of a more complicated project...
This is the sort of stuff that diverges from the "ah, i can see how it
is designed to work together" engineering aspect to the "how do
i attach this contraption to the rest of what all is there" practical
installation experience...

I usually don't have problems with the more complicated aspects as I
research and execute them. The simple aspects is where I may look for help
here as someone may know off hand. Complex issues are not appropriate in
forums of this nature.

If you don't know how to attach the fitting to a concrete block wall
then even if you know how to solder the copper pipes, you shouldn't
be doing this work -- pay someone who has done the job before to
do it for you, keep your mouth shut and your eyes open while they
do the work and you can learn the legitimate way -- by paying
a person who does the work for a living to show you how...

I did pay pros to do my work. I ripped them out due to inferior
workmanship. I learned a lot of what NOT to do by observing pros, or people
who pretend they are pros. I would not have to do this if they did their
job right in the first place.

~~ Evan