Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default HVLP question spraying water-based poly

On Nov 25, 3:46*am, "
wrote:

FWIW, I think Rob may be on to something. *MOST guns (not all) that
come with one tip use a 1.4 to 1.7 mm tip. *If you are in that range,
it might not be large enough to spray your finish without thinning.
If you didn't get another tip with the gun (the 2mm is intended for
unthinned latex), try thinning your material about 10% with distilled
water, then shooting it.

I bought that 2.0 gravity gun specifically for squirting Sikkens 3+1
primer. An automotive product that just works wonders on MDF's edges
and routed profiles. The build is insane, the sandability fantastic.
(For some reason my spellchecker balks at sandability...oh well.)
That stuff is so thick, it needs a tip that large. It's an Iwata
LPH440-201.
I took it, all nice and clean to my buddy's booth as I needed to blow
some thanes on a few sheets of luan. I checked the Polycryl with a
viscosity cup and looked almost too thin for the 2.0 (IMHO, a 1.8
would have done it too). I wasn't about to dirty up his pot-fed
equipment. (Waterbased snot in HIS guns? He would have murderized me.)
It went on so nice even though I was using a LOT of air to blow that
snot apart.

I have revisited the same spray schedule since with the same
results.... and if it works, don't mess with it.