Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HVLP question spraying water-based poly

To get a good, comprehensive answers to your questions, it would be
easier for you to simply search this group. The subject of HVLP
spraying of water borne materials has been discussed completely
several times.

Any time you have spraying errors you can have a *multitude* of
problems that will generate poor results. Some mimic others, so it is
best to get a list of common spraying problems and their diagnosis and
begin from there with your own equipment. I spent a lot of time
writing out the way to properly set up your gun for spraying a long
while back, and I was contacted by more than a few that thought the
info I put out was helpful. It might be to you as well.

FWIW, I think Rob may be on to something. MOST guns (not all) that
come with one tip use a 1.4 to 1.7 mm tip. If you are in that range,
it might not be large enough to spray your finish without thinning.
If you didn't get another tip with the gun (the 2mm is intended for
unthinned latex), try thinning your material about 10% with distilled
water, then shooting it.

I would also suggest that you find a good book(s) on spray technique.
There are a lot of good ones out there, and they can help you
troubleshoot your problems. Some of those books will help you
realize that there are too many variables to troubleshoot ACCURATELY
without a ton of info. They may also be able to help you figure out
what you are doing wrong as well.

Plan on investing some time and money in learning the spray process.
It is no different from any other part of learning a craft, but it
seems to be the biggest enemy of wood workers as they feel like it is
something that they can learn from osmosis. You can spray material
out of a gun by simply hooking it up. But to shoot a well laid,
consistent finish is something that takes time, practice, and above
all, patience.

Robert