Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving a Bridgeport Style machine... (and other questions)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:16:07 -0600, Ignoramus7187
wrote:

Easy to move it on a wrecker (I did that once when I bought my old
Bridgeport).

Easy to solve the three phase problem in at least two ways, phase
converter and VFD.

If I did not have concrete floor, I would at least want 1.5 inches of
plywood with sthe assurance that it will not rot in the long run.

And put 4x4s /6x6s under the floor and well shimmed. Then reshim next
spring.

Or..cut a 4'x4' hole in the floor and pour a slab under it

BPs weigh a ton..literally...and its in a relatively small
footprint..which makes supporting them easy..but puts all the weight in
a very small area

A regular Bridgeport weighs just one ton.

On 2010-11-24, DanG wrote:
Phred, you might do some double checking. I seriously doubt that
you have 3 phase service at your house. This may make it a deal
breaker although there are some work arounds to simulate 3 phase.
It would be prohibitively expensive or even impossible to have it
run to your property.

I don't think typical shed joisting will be able to carry or even
allow you to move across to a position. The machine really wants
a concrete floor.

I've not seen your mill, but most are quite top heavy. I can't
envision getting it onto a tilt bed wrecker.

I hope some others will prove me wrong or have alternate ideas.

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't