Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default question about countermeasures was Freaking Weird

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:18:44 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:46:51 -0800

Yawn. You need another layer of foil on your beanie.

Impulse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ImpSAR)
http://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/prism_200.html

Actually..even the chicoms are making them.....

http://hawksoptic.en.ec21.com/SuperV...1_3364187.html

Then there is IR thermography...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsbsCWu0s6Y&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHCD...eature=related

I've read some comments to the effect that you can use "space
blankets" to counter some of the "thermal" sights reading your
location through walls.
Does anyone have any serious information, not just "seems like it
would work to me." on the effectiveness? After all, I got an email
some years ago saying that safest place to be in an earthquake was not
in a doorway, but in the "triangles" formed by furniture and walls.
Well, "that sounds like it would work." Only it isn't. (Logic is
the means to reach a wrong choice with confidence.)

tschus
pyotr

The principle behind "space blankets" is that they reflect and contain
IR. They offer essentially no conductive insulation. IR that is
contained by reflection is not available to external sensors.

Schjeldahl in Northfield MN made a kapton film with a few microns of
gold on it that was even more effective. If you draped a bit of it
over the back of your hand, it felt hot. Essentially NO infrared got
thru it.

I still have a cheap Frabil styrofoam minnow bucket that I wrapped in
the Schjeldahl film and put the whole works in a plastic paint pail.
It keeps minnows cool and frisky for hours even on a hot day in direct
sun. I had the film left over from a research project at work.