Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default What Thanksgiving Means

On 11/24/10 6:36 PM, EXT wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Figures. A Republican president memorializing the perserverance and
success of religious fanatics with guns.

Yeah, a political holiday, made by politicians, nothing to do with
religion or anyone's religious beliefs, but picked up by most of
Christendom because it can fill the churches, and the contribution boxes.

No, Lincoln was like Bob Dylan, blaming Americans for presuming God was
on their side. He blamed churches. Here's what he said when he
proclaimed the first national Thanksgiving:

...."Now, therefore, in compliance with the request, and fully concurring
in the views of the Senate, I do, by this my proclamation, designate and
set apart Thursday, the 30th. day of April, 1863, as a day of national
humiliation, fasting and prayer. And I do hereby request all the People
to abstain, on that day, from their ordinary secular pursuits, and to
unite, at their several places of public worship and their respective
homes, in keeping the day holy to the Lord, and devoted to the humble
discharge of the religious duties proper to that solemn occasion."...