Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Moving a Bridgeport Style machine... (and other questions)

On 11/24/2010 12:58 PM, Phred wrote:

I was asked to dispose of a Jet/Max BP style machine, exact clone of
the Bridgeport mill, including DRO, cutters and other tooling... I
figured I'd grab it for myself and rework it in my spare time.
Actually it only has about 100 hours on it, I trammed the ways and are
all well and good. So good deal for free.

I think you should have tried to talk them down a bit more... BG
Geez, with only 100 hours, how much rework could it need?

1st question is how to transport it to my house...

I've used a sign crane company to move several machines. A mill just
needs to be offset on the bed a bit to clear the crane boom when it's
lowered. Last time I talked to him, it was $75/hr with a 2 hour min,
which includes travel time. $150 for a short haul move seems right
reasonable to me. But if you live in a residential area, such a rig is
certain to attract a fair bit of attention, which you may or may not
care about.

I've also seen machines moved with tow trucks, a surface grinder I sold
some years ago was picked up with one.

Jon