Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7187 Ignoramus7187 is offline

Default Speeds and feeds for a 16 pitch gear cutter

On 2010-11-24, Jon Elson wrote:
On 11/24/2010 04:54 PM, Ignoramus7187 wrote:
I will need to make some gears using a HSS 16 pitch gear cutter. Can I
do ths with a water based soluble oil cutting fluid and what speed and
feed would you recommend.

Assuming the general ~3" diameter gear cutter, and assuming you are
making gears of relatively mild stuff, then about 150 RPM and about 5
IPM feed. But, just calculate it very much like an end mill.

Water-base cutting fluid should be fine.

Jon

OK, thanks. I may go lower on IPM, but it is a good start.