Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Moving a Bridgeport Style machine... (and other questions)

Pete C. wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:

On 11/24/2010 2:58 PM, Phred wrote:
Hey all:

I was asked to dispose of a Jet/Max BP style machine, exact clone of
the Bridgeport mill, including DRO, cutters and other tooling... I
figured I'd grab it for myself and rework it in my spare time.
Actually it only has about 100 hours on it, I trammed the ways and
are all well and good. So good deal for free.

1st question is how to transport it to my house...

I suggest, as have others, that you remove what you can in place -
head, ram, ram base (upper base). You and a help should be able to
load those into a pickup manually. If you have access to a hoist or
cherry picker, use that. remember you have to unload it at the house
where such tools may not be available.
I'd also load up any tooling that goes with it so it doesn't walk
off while you work out the logistics.
The above has the added benefit of reducing the chance that they
might back out of the deal.

Can a flatbed tilt wrecker handle this? I figure if it can winch a
SUV up, it can handle a 1 ton machine as long as it is secured
well? It's only going 12 miles.

Absolutely, if they tie it down properly. As someone else said, it's
best to have it bolted to a heavy skid. You may also be able to
scrounge. some heavy angle iron or square tubing in about 4 or 5-ft
lengths, drill it to fit the base holes, and bolt it to that. You
could leave it on if you end up parking it on a weak floor, to
spread the load

What type of floor does this need? I have a 20x20 shed that I would
like to put it in, but it's raised on cinder blocks (so she dinna
rot). Can I use lolly's just under the floor where the machine is,
or should I move the shed, pour a floor, and drop said shed back on
it's new foundation?

Pour a floor, or at minimum a dedicated pad for the machine.
But, unless your do a whole floor, getting it inside the shed and
onto a pad is much more difficult. so pour a floor.

This may delay moving the mill, so you might choose to move it to a
storage spot while you prep the shop.

Also, I need to run 240 for the 3 phase... I have it in the house
for the W/D, but having never run power outside, what should I look
for... Buried line? Can I also run lighting for the shed off the
same panel?

You have 3-phase washer & drier ???
I'm impressed!

This was a Garden Shed, but I think it will do better as a shop now
that I have a machine. My basement is too low and confined, plus I
really dinna want the smell of coolant and swarf wafting into the
living room.

20x20 is a good size for a hobby machine shop.

A good size for the first day or two, then the expansion plans will
set in. I'm at about 35x35 and it isn't nearly big enough.

I guess I shouldn't bitch , she did help me find funding for a 12X21
carport . Which has one end butted up to the front of my 8X12 shed , where
all the machinery resides . Pretty soon I better get around to closing half
of it in with that sheet metal I've been hoarding .
Of course I don't have much back yard now , but that's just less grass to
mow .
--
Snag
Learning keeps