Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight Multi tool

Mr. paddington wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...uy-379415-.htm
Mr. paddington wrote:

blueman wrote:

I know that the Fein Multimaster is supposed to be the gold standard
but at $200+ for even the base model (and $400 for the Top with quick
change, case, and attachments), the tool seems quite overpriced. Plus,
they charge a fortune for blades at about $15 a pop.

At the other extreme, Harbor Freight (yes, I know all the
"bad" about
Chinese made/plastic/knock-offs etc.) offers a Multi-Function power
tool that seems to be perpetually on sale for about $39. Perhaps even
more importantly, the blades are $6 for a set of 3!!!

In the middle perhaps is the Dremmel Multi-Max Oscillating kit for
$100 with blades going for about $10 a piece.

Has anybody had experience with these or other oscillating
multi-function tools? If so do you have any perspectives on the
cost/benefit ratios of these different models?

i.e., Is it worth paying almost 10X for the Fein and its blades? Do
the blades really last 10 times longer? Is the tool itself
significantly more powerful or durable or comfortable to use or quiet,
etc.?

Now again please spare me the general rantings about Harbor Freight. I
am asking *specifically* about this tool. In fact, I usually subscribe
to the principle of buying high quality tools and "paying and
crying
only once" but the difference here seems to be so substantial and
because of the high price of Fein blades the pain and crying is not
just a one-time thing. Also, I have in general had good experiences
with Harbor Freight for buying occassional use tools that I otherwise
couldn\'t either afford -- and if it\'s a tool that I find I really
like, then I consider the $20-50 spent as the cost of a home trial
and don\'t mind upgrading to a name brand. On the other hand, I
wouldn\'t trust Harbor Freight for heavy duty precision power tools
such as a sliding compound miter saw.

I bought the Harbor Fr. Multi tool because the price was so reasonable but
I wish I had invested in a
more expensive one. When you attach the blade onto the spindle, it will
not stay tight and the vibrating
of the motor causes it to come loose, no matter how hard you tighten it.
Maybe all of the brands do
the same thing, I dont know but it is very frustrating. Also, after one
use, the teeth on the blade were
worn completely smooth. Is there a brand that doesn't use a hex tool to
attach blades?

The "dish" washer that comes with it works well if you put it on the
right direction and TIGHTEN it.

What would you prefer instead of a "hex tool"?

Reviews are mixed.
That they give you an extra set of brushes with it is telling...

I talked to a contractor about his. He seemed to think it
was acceptably reliable. And given the perils of construction work,
leaving it behind, theft, dropping off the roof, the cheap price
was a plus.