Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace question (generator life span)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 12:04:34 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 11/23/2010 10:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard good things about Onan. As to the wind and yank engines. I
had a lawn mower like that. I found that I was able to saw off a 3/8
socket extension, and chuck it in my big 1/2 inch drill. Socket on the
end of that, to spin the flywheel nut. Made it much easier to start
the mower. Of course, during a power cut, this is much less useful.

I got rid of my Coleman 4KW which was quirky. Regulation was poor.
When a fridge or the like would start, it would drastically change
speed and thus voltage and frequency. I tried a whole bunch of
stuff and nothing helped. When it was new, it was very hard to
start, but after some adjustment and cleaning of the carb, it
started easily. But I could never get it to regulate better. So,
now for power outages, we use the Onan 4KW in the motor home, which
is parked 10' from the house. It is hooked up right now to the
generator panel and can by switched on at moment's notice. It is
far better regulated, starts with the touch of a button and is
pretty quiet. I think it's 2 cylinders because is runs sooooo
smoothly. I've always heard Onans are great and this one is not not
an exception. That said, I had a 7KW Onan in a mobile TV truck
which was horrible. It was repaired multiple times by the
installing company and by Onan and no one could make it reliable.
It bounced around in speed, and thus frequency and voltage, whenever
it felt like ... nothing starting, etc. It's now a anchor weight in
the TV truck replaced by an Auragen belted off the V8. This works
very well and as it has an inverter, it is dead on. Of course you
pay to run the V8. And, if the belt breaks, as it did a few weeks
ago, you have no power.

Onan is owned by Cummins now. Back when mine was built it was a
Stude.