Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

wrote in message
On Nov 21, 10:24 am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Ron" wrote

Wanna argue the point, lets take it to alt.tv.tech.hdtv and see what
they have to say.

Can't argue what you can't see. Come over to my house and look, they
we
can
discuss. Until then you are just blowing hot air.

Make and model number of your TV?

Samsung 32" I'll have to look for the model # later. It is hooked to a
DirecTV DVR as that may also be a factor.

Is it possible that what you're looking at really isn't the old 4:3
aspect ratio, ie that channel is now in HD 16:9 ratio? I haven't seen
a set yet where the picture isn't distorted to make it fill up the
screen. They do have algorithms that stretch some parts more than
others, the sides I think, to try to make it less noticeable. But
there is only so much you can do and every one I've seen makes people
look fat.

One is the Cooking Channel (not broadcast in HD), it fills the screen but
does not have the "fat face" syndrome. On a couple of other channels, it
reverts to the 4:3 ratio. I'm not sure if DirecTV or the content provider
that has any control over that, or even the circuitry of the DVR box.

Does not matter much to me anyway. I've become a bit of an HD snob. The
difference between SD and HD is so significant, I avoid most shows not
available in HD these days. I've been watching Great Migrations tonight
and was wowed by some of the visual quality and detail of the finest stuff,
like blades of grass, animal fur, etc. We've come a long way from the 12"
B &W with Milton Berle.