Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Wall anchors for fireplace mantle

On 11/23/2010 9:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I am going to my daughters house to re-hang up a cue stick holder on a
brick wall.

I will also hang a fireplace mantle and she said it is heavy.

I have packed my masonary bits.

What recommendations for hangars for the mantle?

I used Cobra masonary anchors to hang some heavy wrought iron burglar
bars for a customer.

Have a great day,
Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional
http://www.happynews.com

What is behind the brick? Is it a modern house with a brick veneer over
a studded wall, or is it old-school, and the interior of the fireplace
is the same stack of brick you see from outside? A good clue is if the
firebox is metal, even metal with a thin layer of firebrick, and
especially if (like on my 1978 fireplace, and most recent fireplaces),
the frigging chimney stack is wood.

Not sure what would work on veneer, maybe lag bolts all the way into the
studs. Unless I knew there were tie straps holding the brick veneer
solidly to the wall, I'd be reluctant to put a lot of lateral load on
what is basically a stack of bricks. If a traditional fireplace, a DEEP
hole (at least 1/3 as deep as the part sticking out), and rebar epoxied
into the hole, and allowed to cure before pushing the mantel over it.
Back in stone age, my father got them to pick the mantel before
fireplace was laid, and his mason spotted rebar J-hooks into the
structure. This was mainly 'rustic' mantels back then, not the Norm
Abrams fussy cabinetry style ones. Those old barn beam sections were not
light.

--
aem sends...