Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Darn thieves!

On 11/23/2010 3:08 AM, Evan wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:17 pm, wrote:
My problem, trying to save taxpayers $ by discouraging thieves.

I know what I would do, but working for a State, I have to work with what
they give me.

Our guardrails have reflectors. The State is implementing new reflectors
going up on their routes. The workers are putting up reflectors mounted on
the blocks or posts for the guardrail. Problem is, the reflectors are
mounted on aluminum! Ok, someone at the top should've seen this one coming,
especially with the economy being the way it is.

The reflectors are installed using 2, 3/8" x 2" lags with a 7/16" head. The
thieves will not bother the reflectors on narrow shoulders, or on dangerous
curves. But, where a full width shoulder exists, the reflectors disappear.
Besides being pretty, the aluminum is probably what is making them
disappear.

Changing material from aluminum is out of the question. Remember, this is a
State Agency, and come hell or high water, some nitwit at the top wants
this to work.

My initial thought is to have the workers dab PL on the heads of the lags
after installing. But, a set of vice grips would still back out the lags.

Aside from having the State Troopers sit and wait, any ideas? Besides, they
have better things to do, like responding to accidents from people hitting
unmarked guardrails!

Thanks

LOL... Its called Mig-Welding... Make sure the fasteners are of
the same material -- in this case aluminum -- and then when the
assembly is put together tack everything into place with beads of
mig-welding on all the fasteners to prevent them from being removed...

Those guard rail things are meant to stay assembled when they get
put together, so if little aluminum add-on posts are being unbolted
weld the damn bolts in place after you put them on so no one with
a pair of pliers can unbolt them...

Someone who is stealing these sort of things will need a vehicle
with a lot of cargo capacity -- so you should suggest that the state
troopers review traffic camera footage looking at pick up trucks
that enter the highway empty but leave with a lot of stuff in the
back...

~~ Evan

Dunno where OP is from, but outside east/west coasts and major urban
areas, traffic cams are rare. Around here, they would get stolen, like
the security camera on my regular recycle site was. (said site to be
closed 31 Dec to to slobs contaminating it...)

--
aem sends...