Posted to alt.home.repair
Cory[_2_] Cory[_2_] is offline

Default Darn thieves!

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:17:23 -0500, "Cory" wrote:

My problem, trying to save taxpayers $ by discouraging thieves.

I know what I would do, but working for a State, I have to work with what
they give me.

Our guardrails have reflectors. The State is implementing new reflectors
going up on their routes. The workers are putting up reflectors mounted
on
the blocks or posts for the guardrail. Problem is, the reflectors are
mounted on aluminum! Ok, someone at the top should've seen this one
coming,
especially with the economy being the way it is.

The reflectors are installed using 2, 3/8" x 2" lags with a 7/16" head.
The
thieves will not bother the reflectors on narrow shoulders, or on
dangerous
curves. But, where a full width shoulder exists, the reflectors
disappear.
Besides being pretty, the aluminum is probably what is making them
disappear.

Changing material from aluminum is out of the question. Remember, this is
State Agency, and come hell or high water, some nitwit at the top wants
this to work.

My initial thought is to have the workers dab PL on the heads of the lags
after installing. But, a set of vice grips would still back out the lags.

Aside from having the State Troopers sit and wait, any ideas? Besides,
they
have better things to do, like responding to accidents from people
hitting
unmarked guardrails!

Thanks

Have your state use reflective tape. Skip the reflectors. Tape rails
and be done with it for a few years.

Reflective tape can be bought inter agency in the state, maybe. Made
by prisoners?

Retro reflective tape is what is used on the 4"x8" aluminum. Just putting
the tape on the guardrail will not do it. On the end of the guardrail,
there is retro reflective tape. Back side of reflector has red, front side
either has white or yellow, depending which side of the road they are to be
placed. They must be facing traffic for the tape to be effective. These are
made in house. The prisoners put the bodies on the new dump trucks, and set
up the plow units.

The idea is to delineate the travel lanes, in "hopes" of keeping the
traveling motorists on the highway. The lane & edge lines are already
painted with highly reflective epoxy.

Personally, I think the state is going overboard to help keep people on the
road. Some people should not be driving, period.