Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Wireless dial test indicator

Probably a really cool device, although the photos in the article don't show
much.. but there's a video (click on pic of the instrument on a mill table)
that shows actual use of the instrument or this link.

http://machinedesign.com/video/inven...nhoff-llc-1021
Product name : Vyndicator

Dunno why they chose to make a demo video with the sensor mounted in a drill
chuck though.
Apparently the chuck is an accurate one, because they do demonstrate
centering a hole in as axial indicator demo.

I've been anticipating wireless oscilloscope and DMM probes for quite a
while.. they may exist, but I haven't actively been searching for them.
Years ago (80s?) Beckman had a mini DMM that was about the size of a logic
probe, and later a scope was available of the same size, although the LCD
screen was smaller than a standard postage stamp.

The very tiny/thin nano-scopes are somewhat amazing, but they're limited in
several ways and appear to be too complex for me to want to try to use them
for real world applications.. trigger, sensitivity, position etc are all
touch controls (which experienced video game players may have an easy time
using) but way too small of an instrument for me to be comfortable using.

My portable scope is a Tek Meter LCD true RMS DMM autoranging scope which
uses standard sized meter probes and BNC scope probe. Real buttons (no
knobs)5x2.5" screen and fairly easy to get comfortable using.

--
WB

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
Yes, wireless. There was an interesting article on page 38 of the 21
October 2010 issue of the trade rag Machine Design
(http://www.machinedesign.com): "Wireless test indicator measures blind
holes", edited by Leslie Gordon:

http://machinedesign.com/article/inv...-test-indicato
r-measures-blind-holes-1021

In short, Bluetooth meets and marries the centenarian dial test
indicator.

Joe Gwinn