Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Palm Nailer

On Nov 22, 8:09*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:31:32 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

wrote:
On Nov 22, 8:17*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I bought a new Ridgid plam nailer, because a few places I need to add braces
between studs there is no elbow room, there is no room and the block wall is
to my left, and I am right handed, with copper pipes and rigid elecrtrical
conduits in the way, so no way to use a hammer. *Also needed to use those
Simpson ties on some roof and ceiling pieces.

I opened the box and tried six nails (8d) and each one I tried I bent the
nail. *I was not even pushing real hard.

Any special tricks?

Nailing into old wood can be difficult. *I was trying to hand nail
some just the other day and bent several nails.

Never found old wood hard to nail into unless it happened to be dense
or knotty. *Old wood dries and splits easily IME.
Green dense wood can be tough, even pine.
Palm nailers are pretty foolproof.
Probably hitting metal or you got some soft nails.
Try them in some scrap wood.

--Vic

If the nails were cheap, like from Menards, I would try nails from
another source.