Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookcase advice....

On Nov 21, 9:34*pm, (Larry W) wrote:

I wouldn't go so far as to say MDF can't be made to work, but take a look
at some 20 or 30 year old MDF furniture sometime, and very likely any
larger pieces will have some noticeable sag. I guess this would be a good
time for someone to make a joke about "the bigger they are the more they
sag with age...

Laminate the shelves from 2 layers of MDF, then apply the
formica. It's the skin layers that provide resistance against
bowing, the flakeboard just holds them apart -- pretty hard to
stretch or compress formica, even harder when the layers are
twice as far apart.